Thursday, September 3, 2009

Prologue Part IV: More Forms

So, my electronic Peace Corps account says that I’ve been cleared by medical, there are no legal holds, and that I’ve been nominated to Morocco. Problem is, still haven’t been cleared by Dental. They sent back my x-rays and such with a note that said I have to get my wisdom teeth removed (which, to be fair, my dentists have been saying since I was in high school and which I don’t want to have done in my future Moroccan village anyway). So I get that done over spring break (definitely was not the kind of spring break you see on TV). I send my forms in with a note from my oral surgeon that the teeth are gone. They send back the forms, and I need to get a note from my normal dentist that it’s been done. I send that in and they send me a letter back. Apparently there’s a new problem: I have two baby teeth. That’s not a new problem, that’s not even new, they’ve been there since I was first teething. Apparently the X-ray shows some dark spots around the roots. Now, that could just be “reabsrption” (from what I understand, it means that the grown-up teeth next to the babies cleared away the roots in the areas where they popped up) or it could have been something horrible. So I go back to the dentist, and he’s just pissed at Peace Corps, and writes them a note saying my teeth are fine. He’s so annoyed with the ridiculosity of Peace Corps that he does this for free. Awesome for me, because my dental insurance ran out a day or two before.

No Idea what he wrote in that note, but Peace Corps dental finally accepted my teeth as okay.

Other things I’ve had to do for Peace Corps since: Send in my passport (I’ll be getting a special Peace Corps passport during “Staging”). This had me nervous. Not because I don’t trust Peace Corps, but because they took too long. Me living in Silver Spring, and Peace Corps national headquarters being in DC, I usually just take the metro (train) in, walk to their office, and hand over my documents to the mail-room guys. I figure why risk it getting lost in the mail, right? So I handed in my final (strongly worded?) dental note in one envelope and my passport (along with the special forms needed for my Peace Corps passport) in another. Dental cleared me within a few days, the passport guys...not so much. I got an email from them saying I haven’t sent in my passport yet (and it had to be done soon). But I handed it in along with my dental forms, and those got cleared already, and both dental and passport offices are located in the Peace Corps national headquarters.

That can’t be good. I kind of need my Passport. While there is a way to get a Peace Corps passport without having a valid normal one, it requires a bunch of forms. The forms were at home and I had just gone to New Hampshire to start camp counseloring for the next two months. Not enough time after camp to get those forms in (I got back from camp about 2 weeks before “Staging”). I’m screwed. Again. What is it with Peace Corps and needing so many forms from me? Luckily, a week or two later, they found my passport.

Afterwards, I had to fill out a few questionnaires about my in-country home stay preferences and language-learning style. Filled those out online. Hopefully Peace Corps has got all the forms they need from me, `cause “Staging” is only five days away.

No comments:

Post a Comment